21 Oct, 2 pm, Free Word Centre, 60 Farringdon Road, London EC1R 3GA
The Campaign for Freedom of Information and ARTICLE 19 are holding a briefing meeting for NGOs and media organisations on the consultation paper published by the Commission on Freedom of Information. The consultation suggests the Commission is considering sweeping changes to restrict the FOI Act, including:
- imposing charges for requests
- making it easier to refuse requests on cost grounds
- making it more difficult to obtain public authorities’ internal discussions, or excluding some from access altogether
- strengthening ministers’ powers to veto disclosures
- changing the way the Act is enforced
The meeting is to brief organisations that are proposing to respond to the consultation. We strongly encourage you to do so drawing on your own experience of the value of the FOI Act.
If you would like to attend the meeting, please rsvp to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for responding to the consultation is 20 November 2015. The consultation paper is available from –