There are some areas where the Act is not working as well as it could. We have pressed for improvements to:
- ensure FOI applies properly to contractors
- introduce tighter time limits for responding to requests and have them enforced more effectively
- extend the Act’s public interest test to the ‘absolute’ exemptions
- require authorities which refuse requests on cost grounds to reveal their estimates of the the cost of answering
- allow requesters to specify that they want access to actual copies of documents not just the information in them.
- extend the 6 month time limit within which Information Commissioner can prosecute authorities which deliberately destroy requested records – the government has now agreed to this.